Fortean Times #223 (June 2007)
- A slightly larger scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 3 May 2007
- Cover price: £3.99
- US Edition is dated July 2007 with a cover price of $11.25 USA (CAN $12.95)
- Cover Image: Owen Richardson
- 30 Ghoul Britannia - Hammer Horror celebrates its 50th anniversary as Britain's shocker-in-chief
- 19 Raising the Dead - Miraculous resurrections for all the family
- 38 Countess Dracula - Elisabeth Bathory's bloodbath
- 44 Arkansas Wildman - There's a monster in the woods!
- 56 Korea's Legacy of Marvels - Signs and wonders from an ancient kingdom
30 English Gothic (Cover Story)
Fifty years ago, a small British studio called Hammer Films released The Curse of Frankenstein, to the disdain of critics and the delight of audiences. A new kind of horror movie was born. Kim Newman looks back at how the gothic tradition was reinvented and Hammer became a byword for screen horror.
38 In Search of the Bloody Countess
Novels, films and even Goth music have immortalised the name of the infamous 'Countess Dracula'. Sean Thomas traces the path of the 16th-century Hungarian noblewoman Elisabeth Bathory and tries to discover whether she was really a bloodthirsty mass-murderess of merely the victim of a political plot.
44 The Legend of Boggy Creek
A foul-smelling, three-toed monster once haunted the woods and wetlands around Fouke in rural Arkansas. Rick Moran packs his outdoor gear and revisits the home of one of the 1970s' most unlikely film stars.
55 Pass grade in passing on by Jacob Middleton
56 Korean signs and wonders by Marinus van der Sluijs
28 Britian's X-Files - No 8. The East Anglian UFO flap by David Clarke
51 Dictionary of the Damned - No 17. Conspiracy Theory
MoD releases its UFO files; empty beehives mystery; sacred images; late Serbian premier impaled; dowsers disappointed; winged monsters; animals invade the home; what's bugging you?; changing the climate; randy bird swoons over hot petrol pumps; praying for resuscitation; haunted pub, graveyard, railway lines - and much more.
- 13 Science
- 14 Medical Bag
- 16 Archaeology
- 17 Mythconceptions
- 21 Classical Corner
- 22 Alien Zoo
- 24 Ghostwatch
- 25 Strange Deaths
- 26 The UFO Files
Back Issues CD-Rom
It Happened to Me
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Staff Writer/Picture Researcher - Jen Ogilvie
- Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Design Assistant - Sophie Chery
- Website - Alistair Strachan
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson