Fortean Times #259 (March 2010)
- A slightly larger scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 4 Feb 2010
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated April 2010 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $16.90)
- 74 The Ghost Cities of Syria - A visit to Simeon Stylites country
- 14 Fighting Toothworm - A long-standing notion of dental decay
- 34 Templars in the Woods - Robin Hood and his Merry Men - monks at war
- 09 Desert Rocks on the Move - Death Valley's wandering stones
- 54 Farewell to the Spanish Wolfman - Paul Naschy, werewolf extraordinaire
34 Robin Hood, The Last Templar (Cover Story)
Robin Hood has been a staple of cinema and television screens since the days of Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn - but was he based on a historical figure? And if so, what was he doing in Sherwood Forest with his Merry Men? John Paul Davis goes back to the earliest ballads and proposes an unexpected identity for Britain's most famous man in tights.
40 Lost Graffiti of the Templars
Graffiti left by the Knights Templar in southwestern France have been virtually ignored by scholars. Jerry Glover investigates their possible origins and meanings and asks whether they could be the missing link between the Templars and the Holy Grail.
46 Where Have All the Werewolves Gone?
Did the arrival of Darwin's theory of evolution put paid to a widespread belief in half-human creatures? Perhaps not, says Brian Regal, who argues that science itself sometimes gives birth to new monsters, ready to occupy the evolutionary niche of those they have displaced.
30 Blasts from the Past - No 18. Imposters in stone by Theo Paijmans
51 Battle for the stars by Ian James Kidd
52 Straight from the horse's mane by Patrick Harpur
54 The Spanish Werewolf by Maria J Perez Cuervo
56 A new Rosslyn? by AJ Morton
A Czech poltergeist; odd-looking animals; sonic crowd-control; desert rocks on the move; patients with embedded needles; gummy bear and beer bottle temple; underwater mysteries; author looks like new portrait of ancient witch; was Columbus Scottish? plus 'dead' people show up still alive after their funerals - and much more.
- 14 Medical Bag
- 16 Ghostwatch
- 19 Mythconceptions
- 20 Archaeology
- 21 Classical Corner
- 24 Alien Zoo
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 28 The UFO Files
Back Issues CD-Rom
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Staff Writer/Picture Researcher - Jen Ogilvie
- Book Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Design Assistant - Stephen Savage
- Web Editor - Jen Ogilvie
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson