Fortean Times #178 (December 2003)
- A better quality of scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 15 Nov 2003
- Cover price: £3.20
- US Edition is dated January 2004 with a cover price of $7.25 USA (CAN $7.50)
- Cover: Alex Tomlinson/Etienne Gilfillan
- 36 Wright or Wrong? - Early aviation's pioneers and pretenders
- 54 Up the Hill Backwards - Spook Hill and other "magnetic" oddities
- 48 Dowsing for the Dead - Paranormal policing in wartime Britain
- 76 Sussed in the dust - A fortean visit to Burning Man 2003
30 Dragon Dreams (Cover Story)
Paul Devereux recounts the story of the Dragon Project Trust's dreamwork programme, in which volunteer dreamers slept at ancient sacred sites. Would the mists of prehistory part for these unusual explorers?
36 Wright or Wrong?
Amid celebrations of 100 years of aviation, Philip Jarrett examines claims that the Wright brothers were beaten to the first successful powered flight and presents a gallery of early aeronautical oddities.
46 Aviation books, games and DVDs reviewed and the chance to win a heap of goodies in our centenary of flight giveaway.
76 Fortean Traveller - No 27. Burning Man, Black Rock City, USA - Carnival in the desert: Burning Man 2003.
Joseph Stalin vs John Wayne, IgNobel prizes, red mercury, earthlights, animal magic, killer icon, drainpipe mistaken for mammoth tusk and more.
- 05 Extra Extra
- 14 Science
- 16 Classical Corner
- 17 The Heirophant
- 17 Konspiracy Korner
- 18 For all the Saints
- 20 Archaeology
- 24 UFOlogy
- 26 Alien Zoo
- 28 Mythconceptions
- 29 Strange Deaths
- 02 Flights of fancy
- 59 Books
- 64 Film & DVD
- 66 Games
It Happened to Me
- 67 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
Coming Next Month
- My sister Kate - Sex and spiritualism in Victorian London
- One way ticket... Book a ride on the Necropolis Railway
- In search of the Deathworm - On the track of Mongolia's fearsome cryptid
- Fortean Times Issue 179 on sale 13 Dec 2003
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Junior Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Picture Researcher - Winnie Liesenfeld
- Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Contributing Editor - Ian Simmons
- Contributing Editor - Joe McNally
- Contributing Editor - Mark Pilkington
- Website - Alistair Strachan
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson