Fortean Times #179 (January 2004)
- A better quality of scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 13 Dec 2003
- Cover price: £3.20
- US Edition is dated February 2004 with a cover price of $7.25 USA (CAN $7.50)
- Cover: Alex Severin
- 30 What Katie Did - Was famous scientist hoodwinked?
- 76 In the Zone - Travelling to Chernobyl
- 44 Riding the Death Line - London's Necropolis Railway
- 38 Invitation to Elfland - Away with the faeries
44 Riding the Death Line (Cover Story)
For nearly a century, the Necropolis Railway conveyed London's dead to the hereafter. Paul Slade tells the story.
30 What Katie Did
What happened when an eminent Victorian scientist championed a beautiful medium? Peter Brookesmith recounts a torrid tale of hanky-panky in the seance room.
38 Invitation to Elfland
We expect to see elves popping up on television at this time of year, but what would you do if you met one in your garden? Moyra Doorly recalls her meeting with the Little People.
53 Atlantis Welcomes... - How to find your very own sunken kingdom.
54 A Whiter Shade of Whale - In search of Australia's real-life Moby Dick.
55 The Exorcist Effect - Could a horror novel really scare you to death?
28 Fortean Bureau of Investigation - No 55. Canterbury Tales - Could Western medicine recognise prayer power?
76 Fortean Traveller - No 28. The Zone, Chernobyl, Ukraine - A journey into CHernobyl's infamous 'Zone'
Conjoined twins, genital self-surgery, Flash Mobs, the yeti-meti confusion, gold hoard in Papua, vampires vex vicar and much more...
- 05 Extra Extra
- 10 New Religion News
- 14 Science
- 16 Classical Corner
- 17 The Heirophant
- 17 Konspiracy Korner
- 18 Alien Zoo
- 22 UFOlogy
- 24 For all the Saints
- 25 Medical Bag
- 26 Mythconceptions
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 02 Funeral trains and fairy tales
- 57 Books
- 62 Film and DVD
- 63 Games
It Happened to Me
- 65 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
Coming Next Month
- Psychedelica Victoriana - White rabbits and magic mushrooms
- Long strange trips - ESP experiments with the Grateful Dead
- Huxley mescalinised - The Doors of Perception at 50
- Fortean Times Issue 180 on sale 10 Jan 2004
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Junior Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Picture Researcher - Winnie Liesenfeld
- Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Contributing Editor - Ian Simmons
- Contributing Editor - Joe McNally
- Contributing Editor - Mark Pilkington
- Website - Alistair Strachan
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson