Fortean Times #280 (October 2011)
- Release date: 15 Sep 2011
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated November 2011 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $17.30)
- Cover: Alex Tomlinson/Etienne Gilfillan
- Digital editions: Zinio version
- 32 Ghost Writer - Who was the real author of the complete works of Shakespeare?
- 66 Troll Hunter - A modern fairy tale on screen
- 38 John Clark's Eureka Machine - A machine for Latin hexameter
- 57 The Forever 27 Club - Why do so many musicians die at that age?
- 46 The Shaman-Prophets - Forteana in the Bible
32 Bard Wars (Cover Story)
Did William Shakespeare really write the works ascribed to him? If so, why does each year bring new claimants and fresh doubts over his authorship? Jerry Glover surveys recent developments in the controversy over the true identity of the world's most famous writer... about whom so little is known.
Barry Baldwin recounts the story of the Eureka machine, a bizarre Victorian computer that composed Latin verses at the crank of a handle, and wonders if this Heath Robinson contraption was an inspiration for Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
46 Forteana and the Jewish Shaman-Prophets
The books known to Christians as the Old Testament derive from the Hebrew Bible, of Tanakh, and are a rich source of signs and wonders. From his studies of the primary texts, Richard Seary reveals the extent of fortean references in the ancient Hebrew scriptures, knowledge of which was suppressed by various translators.
28 Britian's X-Files - No 18. The MoD's UFO files by Dr David Clarke
42 Fortean Bureau of Investigation - No 113. Texas blue dogs by Jonathan Downes
53 Dictionary of the Damned - No 41. Earth mysteries, Part 1
57 The Forever 27 Club by Christian Saunders
Sea monsters on camera; wonders of nature; more criminals asking to be caught; Roman temple's solar alignment; electric rail cure; orange lagoon goo; hi-tech crop circle; man dragged through tiny gap; Swedish mystery submarine; dead people return to life - and much more.
- 14 Science
- 19 Mythconceptions
- 20 Archaeology
- 21 Classical Corner
- 22 Ghostwatch
- 24 Necrolog
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 30 The UFO Files
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Picture Researcher - Nick Cirkovic
- Book Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson