Fortean Times #278 (August 2011)
- Release date: 21 Jul 2011
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated September 2011 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $17.30)
- Cover: Etienne Gilfillan
- Digital editions: Zinio version
- 36 Dogs With Something To Say - Germany's clever canines and the "new animal psychology"
- 44 Weird Aliens and Fantastic Worlds - The extraordinary art of Bruce Pennington
- 55 Visionaries - Magicians as artists
- 56 Britian's Mystery Creatures - An ape-like figure and a Gollum look-alike
- 30 Meeting Marie Antionette - Two English ladies and a time slip
30 An Adventure in Time (Cover Story)
The year sees the centenary of the publication of one of the most extraordinary and controversial 'ghost stories' of our time. Tom Heywood looks at the characters and events surrounding the Versailles 'time slip' and the debate it has provoked ever since.
36 Canine Intellectuals
Jan Bondeson reveals how an early 20th-century German obsession with the supposedly superior intelligence of horses and dogs gave birth to a 'new animal psychology' and created a host of canine celebrities noted for their philosophical thought, ardent patriotism and even poetry.
44 Out of This World
Jen Ogilvie visits the British Library's science fiction exhibition.
45 Ancient SF?
Barry Baldwin asks whether science fiction can be traced back to classical civilisation.
48 Strange Lands
David Barrett interviews legendary cover artist Bruce Pennington.
50 Dictionary of the Damned - No 40. Mysterious disappearances
55 A new Golden Dawn? by Jamie Gregory
56 The ABC X-Files by Merrily Harpur
58 The doctor and the living dead by Mark Greener
Medical mysteries; animals in unexpected places; humming noise baffles a Durham village; a violent gnome and a monkey witch; tribes with different senses of time; an End Times ark-builder and an animal collector; atmospheric warming before earthquakes; bacteria affect weather; the corpse-keepers - and much more.
- 14 Science
- 16 Ghostwatch
- 18 Fortean Follow-ups
- 19 Alien Zoo
- 21 Mythconceptions
- 22 Archaeology
- 23 Classical Corner
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 28 The UFO Files
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Web Editor/Picture Researcher - Jen Ogilvie
- Book Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson