Fortean Times #254 (October 2009)
- A slightly larger scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 17 Sep 2009
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated November 2009 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $16.90)
- Cover: A Mermaid (1900), by John William Waterhouse, © Royal Academy of Arts, London
- 38 Mermaids in Myth and Art - Forkloric and cultural depictions of the half-fish, half-human
- 46 How To Make... A Mermaid - Full instructions on building your own cypto-curio
- 18 A Thing of Shreds and Patches - Cellular chimera are all around
- 30 The Phantom Barber of Pascagoula - An American town thrown into panic
- 79 A Visit To The Weird Weekend - Centre for Fortean Zoology's fiesta
32 Fishy Tales (Cover Story)
Paul Chambers's "unnatural history of the British mermaid" offers an overview of the life and times of a controversial creature rarely seen in marine zoology textbooks.
38 Mermaids in Myth and Art
Mermaids and their fishy kin have been with us for a long time, but where did these alluring hybrids come from? Gail-Nina Anderson traces the mermaid's lineage, from Mesopotamian carvings to Disney films and Barbie dolls.
46 How To Make... A Mermaid
Alan Friswell shows you how to make your very own Feejee Mermaid out of a few inexpensive and easily obtainable household materials.
50 A Peculiar People, Part 2
Lodowicke Muggleton, born 400 years ago, founded a puritan sect that lasted more than three centuries. In the second of two articles, Paul Sieveking summarises Muggletonian doctrine and investigates how the faith survived until about 30 years ago.
29 Britian's X-Files - No 14. Great Balls of Fire by Dr David Clarke
30 Blasts from the Past - No 13. The Phantom Barber of Pascagoula by Theo Paijmans
57 Dictionary of the Damned - No 29. Psychic photography, Part 1
Mediterranean mermaid fever; tortoise falls on girl's head; West Country invaders; Namibian bloodsuckers; taxi-driver returns from the dead; lightning can be good for you or bad for you; tailor-made suits go swimmingly; horn-growing humans; petroleum spa; the world's oldest people; cannibal stories from around the globe - and much more.
- 13 Konspiracy Korner
- 16 Archaeology
- 17 Classical Corner
- 18 Science
- 20 Ghostwatch
- 24 ABC Diary
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 28 The UFO Files
Back Issues CD-Rom
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Staff Writer/Picture Researcher - Jen Ogilvie
- Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Design Assistant - Sophie Chery
- Web Editor - Jen Ogilvie
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson