Fortean Times #253 (September 2009)
- A slightly larger scan/photo of this issue's cover would be appreciated. If you happen to have access to such an image, please send it to scans at the domain ft dot gjovaag dot com with a subject of "Fortean Times Cover Scan". Thanks for your help.
- Release date: 20 Aug 2009
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated October 2009 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $16.90)
- Cover: Jason Ford
- 52 In Search of the Missing Monster - Getting to the bottom of an old mystery - the terrifying monster of Loch Watten
- 38 Mothman Author Remembered - A tribute to John Keel
- 30 Outbreaks! - On fads, crazes, mass hysteria and panics
- 46 A Peculiar People - The dissent of the 17th-century Muggletonians
- 44 Occulture - A festival of witches and magic
30 Outbreak! (Cover Story)
Bob Rickard welcomes a new encyclopaedia of extraordinary social behaviour and wonders just what it is about humans that makes us fall prey to everything from daft fads to mass hysteria. Extracts by Robert Bartholomew and Hilary Evans.
38 Gone to the Disneyland of the Gods
With the passing of John Keel, the world has lost one of its most celebrated chroniclers of the strange, whose work encompassed everything from the Indian Rope Trick to the Mothman. Phyllis Benjamin looks back over Keel's colourful career and Doug Skinner recalls the legendary author's last years.
46 A Peculiar People
Lodowicke Muggleton, born 400 years ago this year, founded a radical Puritan sect that lasted more than three centuries. In the first of two articles, Paul Sieveking outlines the circumstances of its birth in the religious free-for-all of the English Reublic.
52 In Search of the Missing Monster
Karl Shuker asks whatever happened to 'Wattie', the mysterious and terrifying inhabitant of northern Scotland's Loch Watten, and wonders whether this forgotten story could possibly be true.
57 Megalithomania by Merrily Harpur
58 A digger down in Woolsery by Richard Seary
44 Fortean Bureau of Investigation - No 100. Occulture 2009 by Gail-Nina Anderson
New videos of an Alien Big Cat in Scotland, and of the Lake Champlain monster; it's crop glyph season again; challenge to an ancient Egyptian icon; falls that are bang on target; witches' convictions reconsidered - and much more.
- 14 Science
- 18 Archaeology
- 19 Classical Corner
- 20 Ghostwatch
- 26 Necrolog
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 28 The UFO Files
Back Issues CD-Rom
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Staff Writer/Picture Researcher - Jen Ogilvie
- Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Design Assistant - Sophie Chery
- Web Editor - Jen Ogilvie
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson