Fortean Times #336 (January 2016)
- Release date: 07 Jan 2016
- Cover price: £4.25
- Cover: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images
- Zinio version
- Note: There was an error on the cover. According to Fortean Times on Facebook: And before you all write in... yes, we made a huge booboo on the cover: the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance takes place in Staffordshire, not Shropshire. Our deepest apologies to all horn dancers and residents of East Staffs.
Stonehenge was Welsh, Romanian stargate, hermits and exiles, vanishing children, miraculous bleeding and weeping, mass fish freeze, mysterious animal deaths, sex with ghosts, Rendlesham revisited - and much more.
- 05 The Conspirasphere
- 12 Ghostwatch
- 16 Archaeology
- 17 Classical Corner
- 19 Alien Zoo
- 21 Mythconceptions
- 23 Fairies & Forteana
- 24 The UFO Files
- 26 Round the Horns - The Abbots Bromley Horn Dance
- 34 Kindred of the Kibbo Kift - Scouting for occultists
- 06 Weird New Year - Apple Howling and teh Haxey Hood
- 52 The Dead Hand of the State - Papa Doc Duvalier's zombie nation
- 12 Spectral Sex - Women who prefer their lovers dead
26 Round the Horns (cover story)
Since watching it on local television in teh 1950s, ROB GANDY dreamed of seeing the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance. In 2015, he finally got to enjoy the spectable of men in antlers performing strange ritual dances in Staffordshire...
34 The Kindred of the Kibbo Kift
In 1920, a group of disaffected scoutmasters formed an organisation marked by bizarre costumes and esoteric ceremonies who mission was to save the decadent West through a regime of rambling, camping and mysticism. ANNEBELLE POLLEN uncovers the world of the Kibbo Kift...
40 Wizard of the Edge
BOB FISCHER looks forward to a new anthology celebrating the work of Alan Garner, whose novels of folklore, myth and magic have entralled generations of readers.
44 Forbidden Fruit
General Gordon is remembered as a military hero, but less well known is his obsession with the Garden of Eden, which he thought he'd discovered in the Seychelles. KARL SHUKER examines a botanical folly of biblical proportions...
50 Building a Fortean Library - No 7. Nothing but, or something more?
52 Strange Statesmen - No 7. The dead hand of the state
57 Strange phenomena in the classroom by Gordon Rutter
58 Were the Ummites British? by Reinaldo Manso
- Horn dancers and weirdstones
- The Man Who Invented Shorts
- FT335:16 The final line in 'Child-killing Carthaginians' should read "...before or soon after birth."
- FT335:26 It should be White Sands in New Mexico, USA, not Mexico's White Sands
- FT335:46 The case of Isaac Martin was solved and reported in FT262:30.
- FT335:62 Rather than asterisks, Leah Moore's review should have read "Watching a newly elected Tory government crush the power to protest in both industry and politics, 2000AD gave them a place to vent their dissatisfaction under the cover of a genre deemed fantastical and a medium dismissed as juvenile."
- Cartoon by Martin Ross
75 It Happened to Me
80 Strange Deaths
78 Reader Info
- Special Correspondents
- Australia - Graham Cordon (SA), Tony Healy (ACT), John Palazzi (NSW), Len Watson (Qld)
- Canada - Brian Chapman (BC), Graham Conway (BC)
- Cyberspace - Richard Alexander, John F Callahan, Hugh Henry, Steve Scanlon, Janet Wilson
- England - Gail-Nina Anderson, Louise Bath, James Beckett, Claire Blamey, Peter Christie, Mat Coward, Kate Eccles, Paul Farthing, George Featherston, Paul Gallagher, Alan Gardiner, Keith George, Anne Hardwick, Richard Lowke, Alexis Lykiard, Diana Lyons, Dave Malin, Nick Maloret, Valerie Martin, Tom Ruffles, Meryl Santis, Paul Screeton, Gary Stocker, Roman Suchyj, Frank Thomas, Paul Thomas, Nick Warren, Owen Whiteoak, Bobby Zodiac
- France - Michel Meurger
- Germany - Ulrich Magin
- Holland - Robin Pascoe
- Ireland - Andy Conlon, Pat Corcoran, Andrew Munro
- Israel - Zvi Ron
- New Zealand - Peter Hassall
- Romania - Iosif Boczor
- Scotland - Roger Musson
- Sweden - Sven Rosen
- Thailand - Chris Williams
- USA - Loren Coleman (ME), Jim Conlan (CT), Myron Hoyt (ME), Greg May (FL), Dolores Phelps (TX), Jim Riecken (NY), Joseph Trainor (MA), Jeffrey Vallance (CA), Gary Yates (UT)
- Wales - Janet Bord, Colin Bord
- Fort Sorters (who classify clippings placed in the Archives for Fortean Research)
- Clipping Credits
- Richard Alexander, David V Barrett, Louise Bath, James Beckett, Peter Christie, Andy Conlon, Pat Corcoran, Graham Cordon, Kate Eccles, JD Evans, Rob Gandy, Keith George, Alan Gibb, Benjamin Gleisser, Kevin Green, Anne Hardwick, Nigel Herwin, Kevin Hubbard, Paul Jackson, Tim Greening-Jackson, Diana Lyons, Dave Malin, Bert Gray-Malkin, Betty Gray-Malkin, Nick Maloret, Greg May, John Palazzi, Tom Ruffles, Gary Stocker, Frank Thomas, Nicholas Warren, Len Watson, Owen Whiteoak, Paul Whyte, Janet Wilson, Gary Yates, Bobby Zodiac
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Book Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson