Fortean Times #283 (January 2012)
- Release date: 8 Dec 2011
- Cover price: £4.25
- US Edition is dated February 2012 with a cover price of $11.99 USA (CAN $13.25, AUS $12.95, NZ $17.30)
- Cover: Getty Images/AFP/Robin Beck/Alex Tomlinson/Etienne Gilfillan
- Digital editions: Official App on Google, Apple --- Zinio (268+) --- Magzter (283+)
- 32 Mexican Miracles - Giving thanks to the saints for their help, plus lucky charms and protective amulets
- 48 The Specimens of Alex CF - Peering inside a cabinet of curiosities
- 54 Reptiles of Riverside - A California town's man-lizards
- 34 They Came From Hollywood - Were real paranormal events accidentally filmed?
- 07 Lapping It Up - Longest tongue and other records
34 They Came From Hollywood! (Cover Story)
In the first of a two-part survey, Peter Hassall discusses some of the weirdest byways in cinema history, looking for feature films - including some bona fide classics - in which genuinely anomalous phenomena such as UFOs, ghosts or monsters have allegedly been accidentally caught on film.
40 A UFO in 1561?
A famous woodcut from Nuremberg has often been adduced as evidence of a major early UFO sighting. Ulrich Magin takes a closer look at this misunderstood image and offers an alternative explanation.
44 The Otherkin
What happens if, one day, it starts to dawn on you that rather than being a humdrum human being you are, in fact, an elf, or a unicorn, or even a chupacabra? Emma McNeil shines a light on the incredibly strange creatures who stopped being people and became mixed-up monsters...
48 The Specimens of Alex CF
Tim Weinberg visits an unusual collection devoted to the study and documentation of unclassified non-human species... and meets its even more unusual curator.
32 Fortean Bureau of Investigation - No 115. Miracles and charms by [[David V Barrett]
76 Stories from the Illustrated Police News - No 8. Tragic effects of practical joking by Dr Jan Bondeson
53 What's with Wetzels? by Theo Paijmans
54 Riverside reptilians by Martyn Jackson
56 Welsh water-leaper by Dr Karl Shuker
Cemetery expert robs graves; holiday goat hunt ends in cannibal tragedy; appropriate names; eastern European oddities; another Irish SHC case; medicine's weirder casebook; surviving falls; star jelly; 'alien' pig and one-eyed albino shark; a taste for long pork - and much more.
- 14 Science
- 16 Ghostwatch
- 17 Mythconceptions
- 18 Archaeology
- 19 Classical Corner
- 21 Alien Zoo
- 23 Konspiracy Korner
- 26 Necrolog
- 27 Strange Deaths
- 28 The UFO Files
It Happened to Me
- 79 Phenomenomix
Tales from the Vault
- Editor - David Sutton
- Founding Editor - Bob Rickard
- Founding Editor - Paul Sieveking
- Art Director - Etienne Gilfillan
- Sub Editor - Owen Whiteoak
- Web Editor/Picture Researcher - Nick Cirkovic
- Book Reviews Editor - Val Stevenson
- Resident Cartoonist - Hunt Emerson